Your daily selection of the latest crowdfunding projects!
According to kickstarter.com
What or who is Kevin?
In the US and in Europe, 1 in 2 people will experience a burglary during their lifetime. We want to change that and prevent the break-in before it happens.
This is why we developed “Kevin”. Burglars fear confrontation, not cameras! Kevin is the first IoT device to simulate the presence of people in a room by emitting light, shadow effects, and sound, meaning burglars will think someone’s home, and won’t want to break in for fear of being caught.
How does Kevin work?
Kevin is built to be extremely easy and convenient to use. Place the device in an exposed room of your home – for example the kitchen, living room or corridor. Plug it in, set it up and you’re good to go. It’s our pledge that the setup takes just five minutes (or less). Kevin can now be controlled via the buttons on the box, or through the companion app (also remotely).
To produce variable simulations of presence in the home, Kevin uses a smart logic that considers multiple factors such as location, language, weather, home type and much more. And because you deserve to be well represented while you are away, that’s why you can tailor your Kevin to your preferences.
FeaturesThis video shows our prototype controlled by our demonstration app. You see the setup of the app as well as different activities being played.
- Simulation & Storage: Full sets of custom simulation data made with matching and corresponding visuals (lights, shadows and effects) and acoustics (household sounds, conversations, …). A week’s worth of unique simulation data onboard when delivered.
- Supported Languages: English and German (additional languages may be added later as downloadable content)
- Visuals & Lights: The amount of white light available is surpassing that of a 130+W incandescent light bulb. Additionally, we have fully RGB adjustable (for fake TV application and other effects) equivalent to a contemporary 65” TV. Combined with over 3000lm, this is about as much as a headlamp found in cars.
- Acoustics & audio: Integrated speaker, selected for natural sounding, high volume audio and good speech representation.
- Operation & Interface: (Daily) operation of Kevin is simple. You can use the three physical buttons to operate all the core functions, so no prior tech knowledge is needed on your part. Optionally, use the app on your phone (requires Kevin to be connected) to take full advantage of automatic activation and remote monitoring.
- Offline mode: Kevin’s core features all work in offline mode, should you prefer. Software updates and additional content, remote control options, and monitoring features are all online-dependent.
- Power consumption: We like our environment and want to help to preserve it. Peak consumption, with everything at full blast, will be 60W (or less), with the average use quite a bit lower than that. We are still working on Kevin to reduce ecological impact and your energy bill, and exact wattage will be confirmed post-development.
Burglary mapSource: United Nations office on drugs and crime
Competitor comparison table
- Got any news, tips or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com